《查克的一生》经典台词大全:当惠特曼遇见宇宙终结
第三幕
(学生课堂上朗读沃尔特·惠特曼的诗歌《Song of Myself》段落。)
学生:
这并非混沌或死亡,这是形式、联合与计划,这是永恒的生命,这是幸福
It is not chaos or death—it is form, union, plan—it is eternal life—it is Happiness.
过去与现在已然枯萎——我曾填满它们,又将它们清空
The past and present wilt—I have filled them, emptied them,
继而着手填满未来的下一个褶痕
And proceed to fill my next fold of the future.
高处的听者啊,你有何要向我倾诉
Listener up there! What have you to confide to me?
当我轻嗅黄昏的迫近,请直面我的脸庞
Look in my face while I snuff the sidle of evening,
坦诚言说吧,除我之外无人听闻,而我也只再停留片刻光阴
(Talk honestly, no one else hears you, and I stay only a minute longer.)
我是否自相矛盾
Do I contradict myself?
那便任我自相矛盾吧
Very well then I contradict myself,
我辽阔博大,我包罗万象
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
(当 “灾难” 变本加厉,马蒂·安德森(Marty Anderson)在与前妻费丽希雅·戈登(Felicia Gordon)的电话中谈及 “宇宙年历”。)
费丽:这种日子还要持续多久?我是说,在一切彻底崩溃、文明完全瓦解之前,我们还能承受多久?
How long is this gonna go on? How much can we take before the whole thing…before the whole thing goes apart, I mean.
马蒂:(叹气)我现在正在教孩子们卡尔·萨根的东西。你听说过他说的 “宇宙年历”吗?
[sighs] I’m teaching the kids Carl Sagan right now. You ever hear what he said about the cosmic calendar?费丽:呃,我不知道,应该没听过。
Uh… I don’t know. I don’t think so.
马蒂:好吧,宇宙已经有 150 亿年的历史了。如果把这漫长的宇宙史,整整,整整 150 亿年,压缩成一个日历年的长度,那么宇宙大爆炸就发生在这本日历的 1 月 1 日的第一秒。
Well, the universe is 15 billion years old.
And if you took all of that, all, all 15 billion years and compress them into a single calendar year, then the Big Bang happens in the first second, January 1st.
然后,然后今天,哦,此时此刻,我们正处于这一年中的最后一天的最后一分钟的最后一毫秒。12 月 31 日。
And, and today, oh, right now, we’re in the final millisecond of the last minute of the last day, December 31st.
但如果我们回溯到最初,如果,如果大爆炸发生在 1 月 1 日的午夜零点,那么这本日历上的每个月都相当于 12.5 亿年。
But if you go back to the start, if the, if the Big Bang happens at midnight, January 1st, then each month of this calendar is one and a quarter billion years long.
费丽:嘿,没人跟我说过还要考我做数学题啊。
Hey, nobody told me there was math on this exam.
马蒂:宇宙创始于 1 月 1 日,但是,呃,直到 5 月份银河系才形成。我们的太阳和地球,要到 9 月中旬才出现。
The universe starts January 1st, but the, uh, the Milky Way didn’t form until May. Our sun and our earth, they don’t show up until mid-September.
生命很快随之诞生,但还没轮到我们人类。不,不,不,猜猜多久后才出现我们?
Life appears soon after. But not us. No. No, no, we don’t appear for guess how long?
费丽:又要算数,我以为不用呢。
Again, I was told there’d be no math.
马蒂:是 12 月 31 日,日历上的最后一天。地球上最早的人类大约在晚上 10 点 30 分左右才首次登场。最后一天的晚上 10 点半。
December 31st.
Last day on the calendar, and the very first human beings on Earth made their debut around 10:30 p.m. 10:30 p.m. on the last day.
然后,呃,从那时起的每 1 分钟相当于 3 万年。所以,到了晚上 11 点 46 分,也就是仅仅 14 分钟前,人类才驯服了火。而现在我们连分钟都不够精确了,得用秒来计算。
And, um, every minute since then is 30,000 years. So, 11:46 p.m., only 14 minutes ago, humanity tamed fire and now we’re out of minutes, we’re into seconds.
11 点 59 分 20 秒,人类开始驯化动植物,这展现了人类制造工具的天赋。
11:59 and 20 seconds, the domestication of plants and animals begin, an application for the human talent for making tools.
11 点 59 分 35 秒,农业社区演变成第一批城市。
11:59 and 35 seconds, agricultural communities evolved into the first cities.
我们有文字记载的历史,每一个我们听说过的历史人物,每一本历史书里记载的每一件事,都发生在最后的这 10 秒钟里。这本日历最后一天的最后一分钟的最后这 10 秒钟。12 月 31 日。
Our recorded history, everyone we’ve ever heard of, every single thing in any one of our history books… happens in the last 10 seconds.
The last 10 seconds of the last minute of the last day on the calendar.
December 31st.
那这一切还会持续多久呢?我不知道,费儿。如果你是对的,而且很有可能你确实是对的,如果这真的是世界末日了,宇宙正在走向灭亡,假设这是一个快速消亡的过程,就算这一切都发生在最后的一瞬间,瞬息之间,谁又能说得清这瞬息有多久呢?
So how long is it gonna go on? I don’t know, Fel. If you’re right, and you might be, that this really is the, the last times. and the universe is dying, and let’s just say it’s a fast death, even if all of this is happening in the, the last split second, microsecond, who knows how long that’ll last.
或许是弹指刹那,或许是万古永恒。也许这一切都发生在宇宙临终前最后一次微弱喘息之际,也许这一切都发生在世界垂死时最后一次孤寂心跳之间。
Maybe seconds, maybe eons. Maybe all this is happening as the cosmos burps out its last breath.
Maybe it’s all happening in the last single solitary heartbeat.
第二幕
(当街头艺人泰勒·弗兰克开始她的表演时的一段旁白。)
旁白:
节奏是朋友,思虑是敌手。
the beat is your friend and thinking is the enemy.
她开始热身,起初鼓棒轻点,速度很缓,节奏很慢,也没敲牛铃,也不介意她的 “魔法帽” 里空空如也,除了她自己放的那两张皱巴巴的钞票,还有一枚滑板小子随手扔的钢镚儿,叮当一声满是嘲讽。
She starts warming up, going easy at first.
Slow tempo, no cowbell, not minding that the magic hat stays empty, except for her two crumpled dollars and a quarter flipped contemptuously by a dude on a skateboard.
还有的是时间,总会找到感觉的。
There is time. There is a way in.
慢慢找到并进入那种状态本身就有一半的乐趣。甚至是多半的乐趣。
Finding the in is half the fun. Maybe even most of it.
(泰勒·弗兰克看到查克走来时的旁边)
节奏感来了,这节奏就像一条你想追随着走下去的路。
The groove has arrived, and the groove is like a road you want to follow.

(表演结束后,当查克再次回到刚才表演地点时的旁白。)
旁白:
当他路过泰勒架鼓的那个地方时,那两个问题又冒了出来。
As he passes the place where Taylor set up her drums, those two questions recur.
他为何会驻足聆听?又为何会翩然起舞?
Why did he stop to listen? And why did he start to dance?
他无从知晓,纵有答案,会让这件事的美好更甚吗?
He doesn’t know. And would answers make a good thing better?
后来,他将丧失行走能力,更别提与小妹妹在海滨步道上忘情共舞了。
Later, he’ll lose the ability to walk, never mind dancing with little sister on the promenade.
后来,他将失去咀嚼机能。
Later, he’ll lose the ability to chew food.
后来,他将遗忘发妻之名。
Later, he’ll forget his wife’s name.
后来,他将分不清清醒与睡梦的界限,陷入饱受煎熬的痛苦境地,甚至会痛到质疑上帝为何要创造这个世界。
Later, he’ll lose his grip on the difference between waking and sleeping and enter a land of pain so great he will wonder why God made the world.
但他偶尔会记起的是,自己当时是如何停下脚步,放下公文包,随着鼓点韵律扭动腰胯起舞的。
What he will remember, occasionally, is how he stopped and dropped his briefcase and began to move his hips to the beat of the drums.
那时他终将顿悟,这种随心而为正是造物主创世的答案。仅此而已。
And he will think that is why God made the world. Just that.
第一幕
(10 岁的查克向爷爷询问有关阁楼的秘密,并第一次学会等待。)
旁白:
他很想追问爷爷话中深意。
He wanted to ask what Grandpa meant.
但他体内那股尚未成型的成人意识——不是说真有个成人在场。不,他才 10 岁。而是某种偶尔会在某些场合突然冒出来的感觉告诉他保持沉默。保持沉默,静候时机。
But the adult part of him, not there in person, no, not at 10, but something that had begun to speak on rare occasions, told him to be quiet. Be quiet and wait.
(当喝醉的爷爷说漏嘴提到奶奶和面包的意外时。)
爷爷:难的是等待,查克。等待才是最煎熬的部分。
It’s the waiting, Chucko. That’s the hard part.
(小查克在学校里问老师关于沃尔特·惠特曼诗句 “I am large, I contain multitudes” 的含义时,老师双手按住小查克的太阳穴,对小查克解释。)
老师:在我双手之间,里面有什么?
What’s in there? Between my hands?
查克:我的大脑。
My brain.
老师:不是啦,我不是这个意思。这里面装着什么?此时此刻我双手之间的脑袋里承载着什么?
No, um, that’s not exactly what I mean. What’s in there? Right between my hands right now.
查克:我不知道。
I don’t know.
老师:是你认识的所有人吗?
All the people you know?
查克:我猜是的。
I guess.
老师:就只有你认识的人吗?还有你所见的一切,你所知的一切,是整个世界啊,查克。上至天上的飞机,下至地上的井盖。
Just the people you know? Everything you see. Everything you know. The world, Chuck. Planes in the sky. Manhole covers in the street.
你每长大一岁,你脑海中的那个世界都会变得更辽阔、更明亮、更精细、更复杂。
Every year that you live, that world inside your head will get bigger and brighter and more detailed and complex.
你会在脑海里建起城市、国家甚至整个大洲。然后你会用各种各样的人,各种各样的面孔去填满它们。这些人有真实的,也有虚构的,你明白吗?
You will build cities and countries and continents, and you will fill them with people and faces, real and imagined. Do you understand?
(查克微微点头)
老师:不止如此。你要继续用你遇见的每个人,你熟知的每个人,甚至你想象的每个人,把整个世界都填满。它会变成一个宇宙。
Don’t stop there. You fill the whole thing with everyone you ever meet, everyone you ever know, everyone you ever just imagine. It’ll be a universe.
在我的双手之间是一个完整的宇宙。你脑中包容了万象众生。
A whole universe right between my hands. You contain multitudes.
查克:那,如果有人遭遇意外的话这个宇宙会怎么样?比方说,开车时在冰面失控,掉下天桥之类的。
So… what happens to that universe if someone… I don’t know, hits a patch of ice and goes off an overpass or…
老师:别太担心这些事。只要记住你脑中包容了万象众生就好,查克。这不是很奇妙吗?
Don’t worry too much about those things. Just remember that you contain multitudes, Chuck. Isn’t that wonderful?
(小查克在舞会上与舞蹈老师的对话。)
舞蹈老师:所以,你是单枪匹马赴舞会吗?
So, you came stag, huh?
查克:什么?
Hmm?
舞蹈老师:没约舞伴。
No date.
查克:没啦,我……
Nah, I…
舞蹈老师:以后会不一样的,相信我,会不一样的。过一段时间就好了。
That’ll change. Believe me, it’ll change. Just give it some time.
眼前所有这些浮光掠影,所有的……外界所有的喧嚣都没什么真正的意义,都不过是,不过是练练手而已,人生预演罢了。
None of this, none of…
None of that out there really means anything.
It’s all just, just a scrimmage.
Just a practice.
(舞会过后,小查克走到外面的足球空场地自由奔跑、舞动。)
旁白:
那天晚上空中有数百万颗星星。多如恒沙数之不尽。还有更多星星密布在这些星星之后。
There were millions of stars that night. Millions of them. And millions more behind them.
当然,或…或许…或许它们不过是宇宙天体运行的数学公式。
And sure, mmay… Yeah, maybe they were just math.
但它们确实也在舞动啊。
But they also danced.
我知道,因为我亲眼见到了一颗星的舞步(流星)。
I know ’cause I saw one of them.
我还记得当时的感悟:宇宙浩瀚无边,它包罗万象,其中也包括小小的我。而此时此刻,我灿烂发光,且理应如此光芒万丈。
And I remember thinking, the universe is large and, and it contains multitudes, but it-it also contains me.
And in this moment…
I am wonderful.
And I have a right to be wonderful.
(已上高中的查克最后一次上阁楼,见到了自己人生终结时的模样。)
旁白:
在这个房间里,查克的爷爷曾见过杰弗里家的男孩,被车碾得血肉模糊的躯体。
In this room, Chuck’s grandpa had seen the Jefferies boy, body broken by the car.
他见过亨利彼得森在天花板上悬梁自尽。
He’d seen Henry Peterson hanging from the ceiling.
他见过自己妻子断气后的遗容。
He’d seen his own wife lying dead.
而且,查克猜想,也许就在他偷取爷爷钥匙的那天晚上,阿尔比甚至已经预见自己蜷缩着瘫倒在地,右手还紧攥着自己上臂的模样。
And likely, Chuck supposed, perhaps the night Chuck had stolen his keys, Albie had even seen himself crumpled to the floor, still clutching his upper arm.
“难的是等待。” 他曾说过,“等待才是最煎熬的部分。”
“It’s the waiting,” he’d said. “That’s the hard part.”
如今查克自己的等待也要开始了。
Now Chuck’s own waiting would begin.
这场等待要等多久?
How long would that wait be?
躺在医院病床上的那个男人到底多大年纪了?
Exactly how old was the man in the hospital bed?
从那台看不到的心电监护仪上传来了最后一声 “哔”,然后这声音也随之一同消失了。
There was a final bip… …from the unseen monitor and then that was gone too.
那男人并没有像电影里的幽灵那样渐渐消散,他就那样突兀地消失不见了,仿佛在坚称自己从一开始就压根没出现过。
The man did not fade, as ghostly apparitions did in the movies.
He was just gone.
Insisting he had never been there in the first place.
“他没有,” 查克心想,“我也会坚称他没有出现过。而且我要继续好好生活,直到我的生命燃尽。我灿烂发光,且理应如此光芒万丈。而且我胸怀万象众生。”
He wasn’t… Chuck thinks. …and I will insist he wasn’t.
And I will live my life until my life runs out.
I am wonderful.
I deserve to be wonderful.
And I contain multitudes.
